Every December I enjoy sharing a short and sweet message with you to end the year, something to say thank you but not overwhelm your inbox.
Rather than force myself to think of something, I let the message come to me.
A few days ago, the phrase I’d been waiting for arrived: Making space.
Before you read on, sit for a moment with that phrase and see what comes to you.
Here are a few ways in which it speaks to me.
- I thank you for making space for me in your world.
- We can make space for marginalized voices by prioritizing them first in meetings.
- Making space for someone’s views doesn’t mean agreeing with them.
- We might fall in love with a particular business technique, like starting off presentations with a story, but we can make space for cross-cultural differences and discomfort around our approach.
- We can make space for the well-being of our employees or clients by offering walking appointments or non-Zoom calls.
- What if we made space for grief, worry, or sadness during the holiday season?
- What can you let go of in 2024 to make more space for what matters to you?
I wish you the space to feel what you feel in this tumultuous world. I appreciate your trust in me, and I look forward to reconnecting in 2024.